Thursday, January 29, 2015

Casey Kelley, Intern at Richland County Children Services


Casey Kelley is an intern at Richland County Children Services. This agency provides care and protection for children in need, and support and assistance for their families. They have a full-time staff of over 100 people, all dedicated to protecting the children of Richland County.



 
Tell us a little bit about your internship placement.
 
Richland County Children Services (RCCS) works with both adults and children to ensure and promote the safety of the child and seeks to keep kids in a permanent setting. RCCS's main goal is to keep the child with the family; however, some circumstances call for RCCS to remove the child. If a child is removed from the home RCCS focuses on developing plans in hopes to reunite the child with the family. I am in the ongoing/kinship unit at Richland County Children Services. As of right now, I am working with all units within the agency to learn about their functions. After that, I will be primarily focused in the ongoing and kinship unit. My supervisor is Teresa Coll, who is the supervisor of the kinship unit.

What are your job duties at your internship?  What sorts of activities have you been involved in?

Right now I am working with all units of the agency shadowing them on visits as well as helping with paperwork. I have shadowed home visits, hospital visits, jail visits and court hearings. I also assist other workers with typing up police reports and incident reports. Eventually, I will be getting my own cases. I am also involved in Core Training, which is a training that takes place in Columbus, OH, that anyone who works in the field of children services has to attend. This training is helping me gain valuable skills used daily in my internship.
  
How has Ashland University’s Social Work Program prepared your for your internship?
Ashland University's Social Work Program has prepared me for my internship in many different aspects. This program has prepared me for what my clients will be like, and what the different circumstances will be like. I also have a good background on laws that govern what Children Services has to do. Another facet that this program has taught me is cultural competency, which is important because I work with a diverse group of clients. AU’s program has also taught me how to write good case notes, how to be a professional, and how to deal with clients. These have all been important in helping me excel in my internship.  

What have you enjoyed most about your internship so far?
I have enjoyed the learning experience that I have already gained so far by having the opportunity to go out on case visits. I also enjoy the workers and my supervisors because they are so willing to help me and take the time to explain things to me. The environment of the agency is great, and everyone has been more than willing to assist me whenever needed and accept me as one of their own.

For more information about Richland County Children Services, click here. 
For more information about Ashland University's Social Work Program, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment