Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Mary Hitchcock, Intern at MedCentral Health System


Mary Hitchcock is an intern at MedCentral Health System: Mansfield Hospital. MedCentral Health System is the largest hospital system between Cleveland and Columbus. Mansfield Hospital contains 326 beds, is a Level II Trauma Center and has a Level II Perinatal Department. This health system serves 6 counties and their mission is to provide expert care to the people of North Central Ohio.

Tell us a little bit about your internship placement.

While at my internship at MedCentral, I am working as a social worker on the fourth floor (Pediatrics). I help patients make discharge plans to make the transition process easier. I meet with patients that need care after leaving the hospital. I assist by setting up home health care, assisted living, and nursing home stays. Patients with other needs can ask for a consult with a social worker and we do whatever we can to make their stay and discharge go as smooth as possible.      

What are your job duties at your internship?  What sorts of activities have you been involved in? 
 
On a daily basis I participate in discharge rounds. They consist of going around the floor and meeting with new patients or patients that have requested a visit and asking about what needs they have. I help do assessments and coordinate resources for patients during their stay at the hospital.  

How has Ashland University’s Social Work Program prepared you for your internship?
 
Ashland University’s Social Work Program has prepared me for my internship by giving me a good base to build upon. I have a very good grasp on the core values of social work. The Social Work Program here at Ashland gives students several opportunities for field experience. While this is definitely the most intense field experience I have gone through so far, it is not the first and I have those previous experiences to draw from. The program also covers how to take effective notes, which has proven very helpful in the course of my social work experience.
 
What have you enjoyed most about your internship so far?

So far I enjoy the fast pace of working in a hospital and facing new and complex issues every day. I am looking forward to many more enjoyable experiences as the internship continues.

For more information about MedCentral Health System, please visit their website.

For more information about Ashland University’s Social Work Program, please visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment