Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Alumni Profile: Irina

I graduate from AU in 2007. I went on for masters in social work at Ohio State. I received my MSW in 2008. I became LISW in 2010. While I was going through grad school I also was working at VA- in their men's residential treatment facility. This was my first exposure to substance abuse field. VA provided a very good training about alcohol and drug abuse and I obtained a chemical dependency license- LCDC-III.

My grad school internship was at the private infant adoption agency in Columbus, which taught me about the whole process of adoption and through my internship training I became certified adoption assessor. I am licensed to do home studies for families that have a desire to adopt a child. After my graduation, I job searched for about 6 moths and in November 2008 I took a position at Twin Valley Behavioral Healthcare- state psych hospital.

I joined the substance abuse department- my official title is substance abuse and mental illness clinician also, known as IDDT provider. This is still my current employer; I've been there for 2 1/2 years. Currently I am a coordinator of the department. I really like my job because it’s interesting and constantly changing. It has provided me with a great experience about every mental health diagnosis; it’s a fast pace- crisis environment. My position is a good balance between clinical and administrative social work. I am a clinician who treats substance abuse, but I'm also a supervisor, I do many education trainings, and I supervise social work students.