Friday, March 4, 2016

Jocelyn Bean, Intern at Catalyst Life Services

Jocelyn Bean is an intern for Catalyst Life Services in Mansfield, OH.  They are the largest mental health provider in Richland County.

Tell us a little bit about your internship placement, your job duties, and the activities you’ve been involved in. 
I work in the youth department and began by sitting in on counseling appointments and diagnostic assessments.  After awhile, I was able to move to the case management department, which works on skill building with clients during school hours.  Now I am seeing my own clients as well as leading skills groups in Mansfield City Schools two days a week. At the school, I help assist when there is a crisis or a disruptive child. I am also a facilitator for an autism group called Aspirations, an 8-week, hand-selected group, which includes a group for children with autism as well as a group for their parents.

How has Ashland University’s Social Work Program prepared you for your internship?    
There are other interns at the agency and I have been trusted with the most work. I have been able to use the theories and skills learned in practice one and two (social work courses taken in each student's junior year) to engage and assess several clients. I was nervous at first but soon felt I had the knowledge and preparation to do everyday tasks and to complete what was asked of me.

What have you enjoyed most about your internship so far?
My fellow staff members are great and I could not ask for a better support system. Also, I really enjoy working with my clients as I am able to help them better their lives. I have seen first-hand clients using the skills I have taught them to stay out of trouble. My job is extremely rewarding and I could not have asked for a better placement.


More information about Catalyst Life Services can be found here 
  
All social work students undergo a 500-hour internship in their senior year, during which they put into practice the skills they have learned throughout their time at Ashland University while gaining valuable experiences to prepare them for employment or graduate studies after graduation.  For more information about Ashland University’s Social Work Program, please visit our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment